Why would I choose to go to college this way?

Many students are looking for new ways to go to college. Online university is a great way to create your own schedule and design your own program. University@PBIA adds the ability to engage in-person, one-on-one with your professors, in one of our centers or via live video-conferencing with software including Zoom, Google Classroom, and Skype.

How does it work?

For your first two years of college, mix-and-match online courses from any of our accredited partner programs or transfer credits earned at another school. When you’re ready, take your final two years of college online in a semester-based format and earn a B.A or B.S. or Certificate from a respected major national university. Regular one-on-one tutorials ensure you will remain engaged, make progress in your courses, and keep up your grades. One of PBIA’s academic advisors will also help you manage your program.

Do I need to take the SAT or ACT?

No. You can begin as a non-degree-seeking student without submitting test scores. If you demonstrate that you can do college-level work by earning a C or better in at least six courses, you can enter one of our diploma programs as a transfer student. Certificate programs also do not demand entrance exams.

Is there an age restriction?

No. We welcome students of all ages. However, you must be at least a junior in high school in order to enroll in one of our classes for credit.

Do I have to take a full course load?

You can take as many or as few classes as you’d like.

How many classes do I need to graduate?

While requirements vary by program, a typical associate’s degree requires 20 classes and a typical bachelor’s degree requires 40 classes, whereas certificate programs usually require 5 classes for completion and can be bundled.

Who are my professors? How do I connect with them?

For every course, you will have two professors: one from the university offering the course and one from PBIA. Your course professor creates your assignments and grades your work, and is accessible via e-mail. Your PBIA professor meets with you in-person or via the Internet to explain and discuss the material and help you with your assignments. All of your professors will be qualified, credentialed and experienced educators who are experts in their fields.

What if I have a documented Learning Difference or Disability?

We will work with you to submit your documentation to our partner programs so that you may receive the accommodations you need (such as extended time on exams).

Can I transfer to another school with these courses?

Yes. Because all of our partner programs are long-standing, regionally accredited colleges, you can rest easy that credits you earn in our programs will transfer to just about any other university at which you may one day find yourself.

Where is my diploma from?

Your diploma will come from Penn State University, Arizona State University, Colorado State University, or one of our other diploma-granting partners. Your diploma will be identical to what traditional on-campus students receive at those institutions with your chosen major stated on your transcript and diploma. Berklee School of Music and others issue certificates of completion in specific courses of study.

Can I attend graduate school with this diploma?

Yes. A diploma from any of our partner institutions is a recognized and respected credential when it comes time to apply to graduate school. In fact, we even offer special pre-law and pre-business majors for students interested in pursuing these professions.

Who are your students?

Our students come from all types of backgrounds with all types of interests. Many use us to attain a two-or four-year degree or to get a jump on college during high school or a gap year. Others come to finish degrees begun at other institutions. Some are interested in pursuing a course of study in technical fields, and others come for their entire university coursework. Still others work with us while pursuing their dreams as athletes, artists and other professionals.

What is the admissions policy?

Anyone, no matter his or her educational background, may enroll as a non-degree-seeking student and begin taking classes toward a university degree. To be admitted to a diploma program, you will have to complete at least six university courses with grades of C or better. Alternately, students with high school diplomas and SAT or ACT scores may apply directly into one of our diploma programs. Certificate programs work in similar ways.

Can I start in high school?

Yes. You can enroll in many of our university courses on a dual-credit basis, so that you are earning high-school and college credits simultaneously.

What will my schedule look like?

We recommend between 2 and 4 tutorial sessions per class, per week and will work with you to schedule your classes in the way that best works for your life. For example, one student may schedule classes from 8:30-12:30 Monday through Thursday, with afternoons and Fridays free. Another student may schedule all of her classes on Monday each week.

What kind of workload should I expect?

Our courses are rigorous. A typical semester-long course might require a student to submit 8-15 graded assignments and take 1-4 exams. As a general guideline, students should plan on devoting 8-12 hours per course per week.

Where do classes take place?

You may choose to work with your instructors in-person at our centers in Wellington or Boca Raton as well as online from anywhere in the world you happen to be.

Who are my classmates? How do I connect with them?

Most classes are held just between you and your professor. However, if you work in one of our centers, you will be a part of a lively community of like-minded students each taking classes and studying in this manner.

Can I take these classes while enrolled in another University?

Yes, many of our students are enrolled in multiple programs. In this way, you may take courses that are not offered at your primary university or do not fit into your schedule for whatever reason. We will guide you through the process of getting classes transferred back to your transcript.

Will the credits I earned at another college transfer to your program?

Yes. Any course from an accredited institution that you passed with a grade of C or higher will transfer.

How long does it take to get my diploma?

If you take a standard course load of five classes per semester, you will earn an associate’s degree in two years or a bachelor’s degree in four years.

What are the costs involved?

The price of college at University@PBIA is comparable to the price of attendance at most other private universities.



“In 2020 I began studying at University@PBIA to finish my undergraduate degree. Not only was this perfect timing to attend college online, but the interaction I have with PBIA’s professors complements exactly how I enjoy learning. Everything about this program is fantastic.”

Hugh Dollard, Student